Saturday, June 29, 2013

Album review---Howl "Bloodlines"

Relapse Records is becoming what Roadrunner was to me in the late 90's early 2000's. A label you could trust for some damn good metal(sadly its a label I avoid at almost all costs now).  Having never heard of these guys before I took a listen to a few songs and ordered their latest CD.  What awaited me was a barrage of relentless songs full of savage riffs, breakneck tempo changes and hooks that really sunk into me. If you cant drink beer to this give up drinking. This is a relentless album from the start and in a day and age when everyone seems to want to have a sensitive side these guys tear at you with their teeth and you should love every second of it.  The influence of every major metal band from the last 30 years is on display yet its a sound totally their own and very modern sounding.(Think Crowbar meets Slayer with black metal inspired vocals) Hopefully these guys will rise above the shit in the metal scene and produce quality albums for many more years to come. I really think they can. I also want to commend the production. Its very polished yet it doesn't take away from the raw feel of this album. I mean every part of this album is mixed perfectly. I really didn't have a stand out track after I listened a few times its just a solid album start to finish. They just announced a US headlining tour with Lord Dying for July and August so go see them if they play near you.
4 meadhorns out of 5
https://www.facebook.com/HowlHeavyMetal?directed_target_id=0
http://www.relapse.com/search_result.php?search_by=all&q=howl&x=13&y=3

No comments:

Post a Comment