Monday, June 3, 2013

DVD Review---Judas Priest "Epitaph"







I'm a long time Judas Priest fan, although I've never gotten the chance to see them live, so this DVD may be the next best thing.  I wish the classic lineup was in tact however I will say KK Downing's replacement Richie Faulkner is no slouch and you couldn't really tell he was the new guy except he looks 30 years younger than everyone else.  At least one song from every album Halford sang on is included yet I thought it would have been really awesome to include a song from the 2 Ripper albums "Jugulator" and "Demolition". They were perhaps the 2 heaviest Priest albums following the excellent "PainKiller" album. But at 23 songs there is a shitload of Judas Priest Heavy Metal as the metal god describes their sound. My only complaint is Turbo Lover, I just never liked that song. But then again I also regard Turbo as their worst album. Chances are even a casual Priest fan will know 3 quarters of the setlist but the lesser known cuts are what really makes this DVD awesome. The stage and lighting were pretty fucking metal as well, sometimes it looked like they were playing from a spot in hell, with the pyro and red lighting being prominent throughout the show. The band is in top form and the LIVE feel is captured to perfection. Halford's highs may have suffered a bit but it still impressive for as old as he is. Tipton and Scott Travis haven't lost anything and Ian Hill is just solid on the bass. I bought this on Blu Ray and have to say the picture and sound quality is top notch. If you buy this put a cooler next to your recliner and listen loud!
4.5 meadhorns out of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLlUVrLUnI

No comments:

Post a Comment